Pipe17 makes is easy for merchants to fulfill their Shopify orders using their Amazon FBA inventory via the Amazon Multi-Channel Fulfillment (MCF) program.
|We recommend you connect Shopify to MCF using the Connect:MCF Shopify app. This guide is only needed if you are not using the simplified app version of the connector.
In this article
- You should already be signed up to a Pipe17 plan or trial so that you can add a new sales channel and 3PL to your account. If you're not certain, reach out to our sales team to ensure you are ready to begin setup.
- Before adding the integration, turn off pop-up blockers in your browser so that Pipe17 can open a new window or tab in your browser for your Shopify login.
- Ensure you are ready to begin sending orders from Shopify to MCF. You may need to turn off your existing fulfillment apps/processes in Shopify to avoid double fulfilling orders.
- Determine whether you want to fulfill your orders using blank box or non-blank box MCF inventory.
Add the connectors
New Pipe17 account
If you are setting up your Pipe17 account for the first time, you will be presented with the general onboarding wizard for your account after signing up.
- Fill out the company information and click "Next" to proceed to the connector selection screen, titled "Let's get you connected". Once you are on this screen, find the Shopify integration and click Connect.
- Enter your store URL and click Connect. A new tab or window will open in your browser. You may have to login to your Shopify store and then you will be presented with a permissions screen that you must accept for Pipe17 to have access to your orders, products, and inventory. Once you have completed that step you should see a screen that says "Connected Successfully".
- You will be returned to the Selling Channel screen. You can skip this page and click Next to proceed to the Fulfillment Partner and choose Amazon MCF.
Do not confuse the MCF integration with the Seller Central integration. The Seller Central integration is for pulling Amazon orders into Pipe17, not fulfilling them. For fulfilling your Shopify orders, you need to add the Amazon MCF connector.
- Click Connect and login to your Amazon account if necessary in the new tab or window that opens. Accept and grant the requested permissions. You will then be returned to the Pipe17 window.
- Click Finish to end the onboarding wizard and see the main Pipe17 portal.
Existing Pipe17 account
If you already have a Pipe17 account, add the Shopify and Amazon MCF integrations by navigating to Integrations on the left-hand side of the portal.
Click on "Add Integration" then find the Shopify connector and click on it, then click Connect. Follow the prompts on the setup dialog, clicking Next or Connect to proceed with each step.
Follow the same steps for the Amazon MCF connector.
Now that you've added the two integrations to your Pipe17 account, you can configure both and actually start pulling orders from Shopify and sending them to Amazon for MCF fulfillment.
- In the Pipe17 portal, click on Integrations and then on Shopify.
- Click on the Settings tab and enable the following settings:
- Push Fulfillments to Shopify
- Pull Orders from Shopify
- For testing purposes, we recommend setting a tag filter in the "Orders" subsection. Use a tag that you can add to a test order in Shopify (such as Pipe17Test) to ensure only this order gets ingested into Pipe17.
- If no filter(s) are set, all orders from the date the connector was added in Pipe17 onwards will be ingested into Pipe17.
- Pull Products from Shopify
- Push Inventory to Shopify
- Click Save at the bottom when you are done making edits to this page.
- Now, head back to the Integrations page and click on the Amazon MCF integration and click on the Settings tab and enable the following settings:
- Pull Locations from Amazon
- Push Shipping Requests to Amazon
- Pull Inventory Information from Amazon
- Pull Fulfillment Information from Amazon
- Click Save at the bottom when you are done making edits to this page.
- Click on Inventory > Locations in the Pipe17 portal. You should see a location for "Amazon.com (MCF)" (it may have a slightly different name depending on your Amazon marketplace). You should also see at least one location created by the Shopify integration.
- Click into the Shopify location that will hold the inventory for the Amazon location, and click "Merge location", then select the corresponding Amazon.com MCF location. This "links" the two locations so that the inventory from MCF is available to sell in Shopify. You can refer to our guide on Merging Locations for more detail on these steps.
Order Routing Setup
- Click on Organization > Order Routing on the left-hand side of the Pipe17 portal. You will now configure an Order Routing rule to send your orders to the right MCF fulfillment location.
- For "Name", enter a title for your routing rule (for example, "All orders to MCF").
- For "Destination", pick the country or countries that this rule will apply to. You can add new destinations under Organization > Filters.
- For "Fulfillment Location", pick Amazon.com (MCF), or whichever Amazon MCF location should fulfill your Shopify orders. When you are done it should look similar to this:
- Note: based on the orders filter(s) you added when doing the basic Shopify connector setup, any new & unfulfilled orders that are ingested from Shopify into Pipe17 will flow through this routing rule/rules and may be routed to fulfillment if passing the routing criteria you set up. This is why we always recommend trying this with a test order or two first, using the Shopify connector filters to ensure Pipe17 only ingests the test order you want to send for fulfillment.
Save your changes.
To test your setup, ensure inventory looks good in Pipe17 (this should sync from Amazon). Then, you can create a test order in the Shopify admin for a product for which you have inventory in Amazon. We suggest you use your business address or a friend’s address for the ship-to address. Your order should appear in Pipe17 within five minutes, and you should see it generate a shipping request to the Amazon MCF location you configured in step 11. The order should then appear in Amazon within a few minutes.
While you are waiting for the order to appear in Pipe17/Amazon, you can also check a few products in Shopify and make sure the inventory values match what you expect.
How do I fulfill orders using Blank Box?
First, make sure the setting "Create Blank box inventory location, when applicable" is enabled in the Amazon MCF settings. If you have blank box fulfillable inventory in Amazon, you should see a new location created in Pipe17 within a few minutes - it will be called "Amazon.com (MCF) Blank box" or similar.
Instead of selecting "Amazon.com (MCF)" as the fulfillment location in step 11, select the "Amazon.com (MCF) Blank box" location.
If you want to sync only the Blank box inventory to Shopify instead of the total MCF inventory, make sure you merge the Blank box location to the Shopify location in step 7.
How do I configure which shipping method Amazon should use?
You can map your Shopify shipping methods to Amazon shipping methods using the steps in our Configure Your Amazon MCF Shipping Methods guide.
How do I aggregate inventory from more than 1 warehouse location and sync the total to 1 Shopify location?
Use the setting available in the Shopify connector settings "Inventory Totals Location". More info in the field help text is available there.